Necessity is the Mother of Invention, so goes a well quoted saying. So it was in the year 1946, the necessity for a school to cater for over aged led to the founding of the Anglo-Chinese Afternoon School, Seremban. It was housed in the Anglo-Chinese School premises under the management of Mr. Yong Yew Kim with Mr. Chin Chin Ngan as Headmaster. The pioneer enrolment was about 140 pupils, in classes up to Standard Five. The following year, the school changed its name to Anglo-Chinese Continuation School, with enrolment growing to just over 240 pupils, from Primary One to Standard Seven. The school later became known as the Methodist Afternoon School.
Several headmasters Mr. Tan Hee Wong, Mr. Yong Yee Kwye (a son of Mr. Yong Yew Kim), the late Reverend E.J. Ponniah witnessed the growth and development of the school. From 1952, under the principalship of Rev. Milton David, the school presented candidates for the Cambridge School certificate classes. The enrolment reached the 800 mark in 1958.
Because of classroom use limitations, enrolment in 1959 was forced to go down to below 300 pupils. The then Methodist Schools Education Secretary, Dr. Ho Seng Ong, and his deputy, Rev. R. Kesselring, helped much in easing the classroom shortage problems. The growing success of the school and the competition for the use of facilities with the morning school led to the acquisition of a new site in 1962 provided by the Negeri Sembilan State Government at a nominal cost. The project was in line with the Government’s policy that all private schools in Government Assisted buildings to remove to other premises as soon as possible. Following a lot of fund-raising activities, the new school building along Jalan Lee Sam was completed in 1964.
The school has been presenting candidates for the Lower Certificate of Education Examination and Oversea School Certificate Examination regularly and obtaining good results. The school has been playing a useful role in answering to the needs of youth in Seremban by giving a second opportunity to those who would otherwise have dropped out of the school system prematurely. Demand for space and facilities led to the construction of a new three-storey block, completed in 1991. By 1996, it was determined that the school’s role in education should be to provide quality education in small, uncrowded classrooms. Extensive renovations resulted in fully equipped Chemistry, Biology and Physics Laboratories, an Art Room, a language Room and a computer laboratory to enhance existing facilities.
Today, the school is proud to be able to cater to the public who have been supporting the school through all the years by offering to their children a chance to enjoy quality, private education from Form One to Form Five Science and Arts levels.
Wesley Methodist School Seremban
Jalan Lee Sam